The day began early at 7 a.m. with mingling and included a cooking demonstration with Ming Tsai and fashion show where Deirdre discussed her life in fashion.
Chef Ming owns Blue Ginger Restaurant, and he prepared won tons, martinis, and stir fry with rice noodles and shrimp. He had some great cooking tips that I want to share with you:
- Preheat your pan then add oil, let meat stick and crust up and unstick itself, do not unstick it from the bottom before it is ready.
- Use Canola oil, not Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Why? It has no flavor and has a high smoking temperature, so it doesn’t smoke as much as EVOO. Plus it’s cheaper!
- The best lime juicer is a pair of tongs (pictured above)
- Recommended Pans: All-Clad Pans.
- I can’t wait to get All-Clad Pans. They are definitely more expensive but they last so much longer then the cheap pans. The set I got for my wedding six years ago are already showing their age, but my mom has a set of All-Clad pans that she has had for over 30 years and they are still going strong!
- If you want to start eating healthy do the little things, like changing white rice for brown
- Soak brown rice for an hour before preparing if you are mixing with white because white rice soaks water faster.