This How To Shop post contains affiliate links
Mixing prints and patterns can either look effortless and well put together, or it won’t. There is very rarely a grey area. I am, of course, here to help you look effortless and well put together in this How To Shop Series.
You can find a lot of the prints and patterns in any store right now. Including: Gingham, embellished jeans, rainbow everything, overcharged florals, polkadots and stripes.
How To Shop: Prints and Patterns
Here are a few “rules” you can live by to make sure you look effortless and well put together:
- Choose one print to dominate and one as an accent
- For example: Large plaid paired with small floral
- Mix prints of different scales
- For example: Like large stripes and small polka dots, or a top with large flowers paired with pants with small flowers.
- When mixing prints keep the colors in the same family
- For example: Large white and blue flower top paired with blue plaid coat
- Mix prints with neutrals for a preppy, easy vibe
- Neutrals don’t always have to apply to color. Consider using a chambray shirt, leopard belt and shoes, or stripes as a neutral
- For example: Pair a gingham dress with a chambray top
- If you want to use the same pattern, invert the colors
- For example: A black dress with white polka dots can be paired with a white coat with black polka dots
- Break up patterns with a belt
- For example: Pair a floral top with stripe pants, and break it up with a solid color belt
- Polka dots and strips always work!
Gingham can be found everywhere this season and is perfect for so many reasons! Checked in white with a bold color. The brighter the better!
This swimming suits are the perfect example of mixing prints and patterns. You’ve got stripes on stripes, red and pink, and of course invited black and white polka dot. These swimming suits will be turning heads no matter where you are!
Floral!!!! Nothing is more feminine than floral. Especially when it’s paired with lace, like this dress. This jacket is such a fun way to really take your jeans and tee-shirt up to the next level. Bejeweled and floral jeans are everywhere as well. Pair yours with a sleek work jacket, or a ruffle top. Try pairing yours with a sexy, silk top for a date night or night out with the girls.
ROYGBV is the color of the year! Each of these styles may have a similar look – in that they’re all colorful stripes – but they’re all worn completely different. You’ve got slouchy and comfortable, preppy and put together, and you have the sort of rebel! You really can’t go wrong with any of them.
Mixed prints. Pattern play. Bright colors!
Each of these pieces is a perfect example of incorporating current trends into your wardrobe.
Overcharged florals with polka dots, or stripes. Mixing patterns, colors, and of course the bright beautiful colors that we can come to expect this season!
You will never get more timeless than Black and White. It’s a staple to anyone’s wardrobe. For example, you may have white trousers from 20 years ago but perhaps it’s time to update them. Everyone should have a scuba skirt in their wardrobe and this black and white stripe version will look nothing short of perfection!
What do you think? Do you love any of these pieces? Let me know below, or shoot me an email if you have any questions!